The Innocent Eye Test Mark Tansey (Interpretation and Analysis)

The Innocent Eye Test Mark Tansey
The Innocent Eye Test
Source: MET Museum
Today, I want to talk about a very amusing piece of art that I had the privilege of seeing at the MET Museum several years ago.

The Innocent Eye Test portrays a cow studying a painting of two bulls. A group of scholars stand by, waiting to see how the cow will react to the painting. Will she notice that the bulls aren’t real? Or, will she treat them as living animals? (Although, I can’t be too critical of their curiosity because I often wonder if my cats recognize photos or videos of other cats). The term innocent eye refers to the gaze of a naive or uneducated person; the cow is the innocent eye in this scenario, viewing the painting with fresh eyes. The cow herself seems to be calmly studying the art, just like an ordinary visitor to the museum.

Personally, I find the painting to be very entertaining, something we all need during these stressful times.

However, the artist—Mark Tansey—had a more serious aim in mind. As the MET Museum explains in their description of the painting, Tansey was interested in exploring the role of representation in modern art. The Innocent Eye Test questions the role of realism (the idea of representing a subject truthfully, rejecting traditional artistic conventions) in modern art. In an age in which photographs can faithfully capture any image, the painting asks is there a place for realism? What does reality and truth mean in the context of modern art? The painting can also be interpreted as a critique of art critics, an examination of the role of art historians in creating meaning through art.

Disclaimer: I’m not an art historian or an expert on this topic. The above is my opinion, based on my interpretation of my foreknowledge of art and history. If I’ve done any additional research, I’ll note it above.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Le Chat Aux Poissons Rouges by Henri Matisse (Interpretation and Analysis)

Five Puerto Rican Artists You Should Know

Mural La Plena by Rafael Tufiño (Interpretation and Analysis)