Country Doctor by Horace Pippin (Interpretation and Analysis)

Country Doctor by Horace Pippin
Country Doctor
Source: Museum of Fine Arts Boston
I missed National Doctors’ Day a few days ago, but, in this time of national crisis, I think every day should be National Doctors’ Day. To celebrate, I want to share this painting—entitled Country Doctor—which I first saw on the Museum of Fine Arts Boston’s Instagram page (I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, there’s nothing better than following art museums on Instagram).

As the title suggests, the painting depicts a doctor, walking with a horse and a covered cart through a snowy landscape. He is presumably on his way to see a patient, battling the snow as he trudges through the night. The painting highlights his dedication to his work and draws attention to courageous persistence in the face of adversity.

Although I believe this is an important message, the part of this painting that originally caught my attention is the snow (or perhaps it’s sleet; it’s tough to tell). It’s unusual to see weather in progress in art; I think this is largely because it’s difficult to capture the constant motion of wind and water in static images. If you’ve ever tried to take a photo of rain falling, you’ll know what I mean. Besides which, weather events have the potential to draw attention away from the central subject of the painting.

This is the case in the Country Doctor. The doctor himself is almost invisible behind a curtain of snow and sleet. However, in this piece, I think this distraction adds to, rather than detracts from, the painting. The falling snow is striking, yet, more importantly, it underlines the doctor’s struggle and his commitment to his patients. It turns a rather unremarkable painting into something eye catching and interesting. As the Museum of Fine Arts Boston notes, “In Country Doctor...Pippin was able to achieve astonishing effects with a limited palette and an intuitive sense of design.”

Disclaimer: I’m not an art historian or an expert on this topic. The above is my opinion, based on my interpretation of my foreknowledge of art and history. If I’ve done any additional research, I’ll note it above.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Le Chat Aux Poissons Rouges by Henri Matisse (Interpretation and Analysis)

Five Puerto Rican Artists You Should Know

Mural La Plena by Rafael Tufiño (Interpretation and Analysis)