Saint Anthony the Abbot in the Wilderness by Osservanza Master (Interpretation and Analysis)

Saint Anthony the Abbot in the Wilderness
Source: The MET Museum
I stumbled upon this painting while I was browsing the MET’s collection the other day (which is one of my favorite pastimes, by the way), and I was immediately struck by it. The painting, entitled Saint Anthony the Abbot in the Wilderness, depicts “the life of the hermit Saint Anthony Abbot,” according to the MET Museum.

Although it dates to the late Medieval/ early Renaissance period, the painting feels very modern. In its vibrant color scheme and psychological reality, Saint Anthony the Abbot in the Wilderness reminds me of Edvard Munch’s famous painting The Scream. As the title suggests, the painting depicts the saint wandering in a desert, enduring temptation from the devil. Taken together, the scene represents the saint’s inner life, his struggles and his spiritual journey. It is an inward looking painting, underlaid by the saint’s self reflection.

The composition of the painting reflects this dynamic. The desert landscape is alien and otherworldly. Strange creatures, representing the saint’s temptations, roam amongst leafless trees. A cross stands on a hill in the background. An eerily luminous sky looms over it all. The painting is embellished with touches of gilding that add brightness to the otherwise muted color scheme. Visually and symbolically, the wilderness represents the isolation and psychological tumult that the saint experiences.

The Scream
Source: Wikipedia
Disclaimer: I’m not an art historian or an expert on this topic. The above is my opinion, based on my interpretation of my foreknowledge of art and history. If I’ve done any additional research, I’ll note it above.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Le Chat Aux Poissons Rouges by Henri Matisse (Interpretation and Analysis)

Five Puerto Rican Artists You Should Know

Mural La Plena by Rafael Tufiño (Interpretation and Analysis)