Noli me Tangere by Lavinia Fontana (Interpretation and Analysis)

Noli me Tangere by Lavinia Fontana
Noli me Tangere
Source: Arthive.com
In this time of social distancing, I thought I’d bring you another painting from the mannerist movement: Noli me Tangere by Lavinia Fontana. Noli me Tangere translates to Touch me Not; it refers to a biblical scene in the Gospel of John in which Mary Magdalene encounters Christ after his resurrection. Jesus tells Mary Magdalene not to touch him, implying that he is now separate from the corporal world.

Fontana’s interpretation of this scene is lush and colorful, featuring warm, jewel-toned colors. The figures of Mary Magdalene and Christ dominate the foreground, while the two other Marys arrive at the tomb to meet the angel who tells them that Jesus has been resurrected.

Although this scene has been reproduced many times in the history of Western art, Fontana’s painting is unusually warm and tender in comparison to other depictions of the same moment, which usually have a more formal air. Christ stands in a casual pose; his body forms an S shape, one of the characteristics of the Mannerist style. He is barefoot and wears a wide-brimmed hat and a simple tunic. This humble attire is a reference to a preceding passage in which Mary mistakes Jesus for a gardener.

Fontana’s painting captures the blissful moment in which Mary recognizes Jesus. Although the two figures do not touch, Christ stretches a hand out over Mary’s head, seeming to offer a blessing. Mary’s arms are outstretched, inviting the viewer into the image.

As I noted above, the image has an affective bent. This is a characteristic of Mannerist art, which relies on pathos to communicate its message, as opposed to the serene, unemotional paintings of the Renaissance period.

Disclaimer: I’m not an art historian or an expert on this topic. The above is my opinion, based on my interpretation of my foreknowledge of art and history. If I’ve done any additional research, I’ll note it above.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Le Chat Aux Poissons Rouges by Henri Matisse (Interpretation and Analysis)

Five Puerto Rican Artists You Should Know

Mural La Plena by Rafael Tufiño (Interpretation and Analysis)