Under the Jacaranda by R. Godfrey Rivers (Interpretation and Analysis)

Under the Jacaranda by R. Godfrey Rivers
Under the Jacaranda
Source: Queensland Art Gallery and Gallery of Modern Art
Recently, I’ve been writing quite a bit about some grittier, more edgy paintings, so, today I want to take a step back and look at something more pleasant.

Under the Jacaranda is the uncontested masterpiece of English-Australian painted R. Godfrey Rivers. In fact, it is one of the most recognizable and well-known paintings in Australia. The painting depicts the artist and his wife drinking tea (a popular activity at the time) in the shade of a jacaranda tree in the Brisbane City Botanic Gardens.

The visual focal point of the painting is the jacaranda tree, dominating the painting with its lavish purple flowers. The boughs of the tree give structure to the composition of the painting, gradually directing the viewer’s eye to the couple under the tree. It is quite a Romantic painting. Romantic art rebelled against the structure of rationalism, instead choosing to explore the emotional landscape and celebrate the wonders of the natural world. Under the Jacaranda uses the tree to create a sense of nostalgia and general well-being in the viewer. It is a celebration of the joys of family life and a mediation on the beauty of nature.

On a personal level, I’ve always found this painting to be very calming. I’ve always loved jacaranda trees and their lovely purple flowers, and I find them to be serene, majestic trees. I wish they could be grown in my area, but, unfortunately, I’m in the wrong hardiness zone.

Disclaimer: I’m not an art historian or an expert on this topic. The above is my opinion, based on my interpretation of my foreknowledge of art and history. If I’ve done any additional research, I’ll note it above.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Le Chat Aux Poissons Rouges by Henri Matisse (Interpretation and Analysis)

Five Puerto Rican Artists You Should Know

Mural La Plena by Rafael Tufiño (Interpretation and Analysis)