The Incredulity of Saint Thomas by Caravaggio (Interpretation and Analysis)

The Incredulity of Saint Thomas by Caravaggio
The Incredulity of Saint Thomas
Source: Wikimedia Commons


It seems to me that every time I write about a painting by Caravaggio, I say it’s one of my favorites. I’ve finally come to the conclusion that every painting by Caravaggio is my favorite. There’s something about his work that just draws me in; I love his sense of visual drama and the elements of gritty realism—so absent in the art of the Renaissance—that he brings to his work.

That being said, The Incredulity of Saint Thomas is truly one of my favorite Caravaggio paintings. It portrays a scene from the Gospel of John in which Jesus appears to Saint Thomas, who doubts that he has truly risen from the dead. The painting illustrates one of the most quoted verses from John’s Gospel, a tool often used in teaching Christian theology: “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." Caravaggio depicts Thomas with his hand on Christ’s wound, proof that he has truly died and been resurrected.

It is a truly masterful painting, this delicate and intimate moment with incredible sensitivity and nuance. The light that falls on Christ emphasizes his corporality while also suggesting his divinity and importance to the viewer. Caravaggio was a master of light and shadow, and he uses this chiaroscuro to create a narrative through line in this piece. The shadows (representing doubt) sweep over Saint Thomas, but as he touches Christ he is drawn into light. As always, Caravaggio’s work brings biblical scenes to life in a way that all the pomp and grandeur in the world cannot.

It is a wonderfully imaginative and touching approach to the subject matter that also highlights Caravaggio’s artistic mastery.

Disclaimer: I’m not an art historian or an expert on this topic. The above is my opinion, based on my interpretation of my foreknowledge of art and history. If I’ve done any additional research, I’ll note it above.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Le Chat Aux Poissons Rouges by Henri Matisse (Interpretation and Analysis)

Five Puerto Rican Artists You Should Know

Mural La Plena by Rafael Tufiño (Interpretation and Analysis)