Goldfish by Henri Matisse (Interpretation and Analysis)

Goldfish
Source: Khan Academy
Today, I want to talk about a painting that calms me, something I think we’re all in need of during this time. Although I’m generally not a fan of modern art, I’ve had a print of this painting hanging on my bedroom wall for many years now, and I think it is a nearly perfect piece of art. The composition is well-balanced, and the warm color scheme offers a sense of comfort and serenity.

Based on my research, Matisse began painting goldfish (which were a frequent theme in his work) after he traveled to North Africa. In Morocco, Matisse observed locals watching goldfish swim in their bowls as they sunk into a meditative state. The fish subsequently became a symbol for this sense of tranquility, coming to represent an idyllic version of the world only accessible through joyous day-dreams.

On a more direct note, I think there’s something about swimming fish that intrigues people. There’s a reason many people have fish tanks in their homes; it’s very calming to watch fish, and, if you watch them long enough, it truly can become hypnotic. It’s clear that Matisse was interested in exploring this state of mind, using the goldfish as a conduit.

The painting is also interesting from a stylistic perspective. The fish can be seen from two angles in the painting, from the side and from above. From above, the fish seem to be in a different location within the water, mirroring the illusionary effects water can produce. As I noted above, the painting is perfectly balanced from a compositional perspective. Each item is countered by another object in the painting, creating a sense of organic symmetry. The goldfish bowl itself adds to this sense of harmony. The round shape of the bowl can be interpreted as a symbol of the endless circle of life and death; the circle thus is another symbol of balance, a stand in for the harmony of the natural order.

Disclaimer: I’m not an art historian or an expert on this topic. The above is my opinion, based on my interpretation of my foreknowledge of art and history. If I’ve done any additional research, I’ll note it above.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Le Chat Aux Poissons Rouges by Henri Matisse (Interpretation and Analysis)

Five Puerto Rican Artists You Should Know

Mural La Plena by Rafael Tufiño (Interpretation and Analysis)