Cass by Rita Angus (Interpretation and Analysis)

Cass by Rita Angus
Cass
Source: New Zealand Ministry for Culture and Heritage

One of the best things about writing this blog is that every now and then I encounter a new artist. I recently stumbled upon the work of Rita Angus, one of New Zealand’s best loved painters, and I immediately knew that I wanted to talk about her art.

Angus is particularly well known for her portraits and landscapes, but her painting Cass is arguably her most famous work. The piece depicts the train station of the small, rural town of Cass. Mountains loom in the background, dwarfing the tiny, man-made structure in the foreground. The composition creates a sense of loneliness and isolation but also highlights the strength and spirit of rural communities.

The piece explores the push and pull between the natural world and the ever-encroaching tide of human civilization. She uses differing artistic styles to highlight this contrast. The train station is boxy and clean-cut, while the mountains in the background are painted in a softer, more abstract style. Strangely, these two styles do not clash, but rather complement each other, perhaps a comment on humanity’s relationship with the natural world. Her use of color also speaks to this union. The painting is executed in warm oranges and yellows, giving the piece a greater sense of cohesion.

Cass was voted New Zealand’s favorite painting in 2006 and is now considered to be the most iconic image of twentieth century New Zealand.

Disclaimer: I’m not an art historian or an expert on this topic. The above is my opinion, based on my interpretation of my foreknowledge of art and history. If I’ve done any additional research, I’ll note it above.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Le Chat Aux Poissons Rouges by Henri Matisse (Interpretation and Analysis)

Five Puerto Rican Artists You Should Know

Mural La Plena by Rafael Tufiño (Interpretation and Analysis)