What Should We Do with Controversial Art?

Hylas and the Nymphs
Source: Wikipedia
Today, I want to mix up the format of this blog a little bit. Instead of talking about a particular painting, I want to tackle a question that is becoming increasingly relevant among art historians: what should we do with controversial art?

I started to think about this question after I read this article, which describes the controversy that ensued after an art museum in Manchester, England decided to take down a Pre-Raphaelite painting to make a statement about the way women are represented in the piece. I recommend you read the article for a more detailed description of why they decided to do this because I’m not going to go into all the nuances now.

However, I will say that I was more than a little outraged when I read that they had taken it down (although it is back up again, and this did happen a while ago). The painting in question is Hylas and the Nymphs, which depicts a story from Greek mythology in which the nymphs lure Hylas—the companion of Hercules—to his death. Stylistically and in terms of subject matter, the painting is a fairly typical example of Pre-Raphaelite art. The primary criticisms of this painting seem to be that it makes the female figures passive and reduces them to sexualized objects.

I think those are valid criticisms, but not good reasons to take the painting off the walls. First of all, if that’s going to be the standard for objecting to paintings, all the museums in the western world are going to have to take down at least 20% of their collections. Secondly, it’s ridiculous to object to nudity in art. Nudes have been a cornerstone of the Western, artistic tradition since classical antiquity. It’s a bit prudish to complain about them now.

On that point, I think it’s important to recognize the historical value of art. The museums of the world are full of paintings that portray unfair stereotypes, promote racism, and degrade women. Yet, those paintings remain on display because they are part of our cultural heritage. Though they may be upsetting, they teach viewers something about who we are, where we come from, and where we’re going (to misquote Gauguin). I think it’s important to confront this truth.

Besides which, Hylas and the Nymphs is a rather mild example of a controversial painting. I should note that the painting is beautifully executed from a technical standpoint and is far from the most objectionable portrayal of women of the Pre-Raphaelite movement. I’m sure the museum could have found far more extreme examples in their collection if they looked. This piece should be studied in context, not removed from public display.

I believe this case represents a larger issue that curators are facing all over the world, especially as the general population becomes more socially away. This brings us back to the question I started with: what should we do with controversial art? My answer is display it. As I said, I understand that many people will be offended by certain pieces of art, and I sympathize with their feelings; however, I think it is wrong to censor art. That doesn’t mean museums should display any random doodle that someone calls art; all I’m saying is that museums shouldn’t hide pieces of acknowledged artistic value simply because they upset someone. After all, the primary goal of a museum is to make art accessible to the public, not the other way around.

Within them museum context, it is always necessary to display art within the appropriate context, but viewers should expect to encounter pieces that challenge their worldview. Visiting a museum should be an experience that provokes thought and sparks conversation. Controversial art is a necessary—albeit sometimes painful—part of that process.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Le Chat Aux Poissons Rouges by Henri Matisse (Interpretation and Analysis)

Five Puerto Rican Artists You Should Know

Mural La Plena by Rafael Tufiño (Interpretation and Analysis)