The Lady of Shalott by John William Waterhouse (Interpretation and Analysis)

The Lady of Shalott by John William Waterhouse
The Lady of Shalott
Source: Tate Museum
Yesterday, I mentioned a painting by John William Waterhouse. However, I didn’t get a chance to really discuss his work in detail. So, today, I want to take a few moments to chat about his most famous painting: The Lady of Shalott.

If you’ve ever studied nineteenth century art or literature in the Western world, chances are you’ve seen this painting. It is incredibly famous and almost synonymous with the term pre-Raphaelite. So, why is this painting so well known?

First of all, it is incredibly beautiful. Although Waterhouse’s work isn’t for everyone, no one can deny that he was a highly gifted artist. The technical proficiency displayed in this piece, coupled with the carefully balanced compositions, is truly remarkable.

However, I think it is the subject matter that is more appealing to viewers. If you want a complete description of the story behind the painting, I suggest you read the Tate Museum’s description. However, for the purposes of this blog, suffice it to say that the painting depicts the story of a cursed lady from Arthurian legend. Though the painting is scrupulously realistic, the subject itself is undeniably romantic. As I’ve noted before, pre-Raphaelite art has a tendency to romanticize and aggrandize the past, and this painting is perhaps the worst offender. The image of the doomed lady, dressed all in white, sailing to her doom exerts a strong pull on the human imagination. There is something mystic—almost awe inspiring—about Waterhouse’s masterpiece.

At its core, I believe that there is something about this painting that engages the mind on a fundamental level. Call it the Freudian death drive or something else, viewers respond to this fatalistic image, both horrified and fascinated by the horrible destiny that the Lady of Shalott faces.

Disclaimer: I’m not an art historian or an expert on this topic. The above is my opinion, based on my interpretation of my foreknowledge of art and history. If I’ve done any additional research, I’ll note it above.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Le Chat Aux Poissons Rouges by Henri Matisse (Interpretation and Analysis)

Five Puerto Rican Artists You Should Know

Mural La Plena by Rafael Tufiño (Interpretation and Analysis)