Laziness (La Paresse) by Félix Vallotton (Interpretation and Analysis)

La Paresse by Félix Vallotton
La Paresse
Source: Museum of Modern Art
Over the past few days, I’ve touched on some heavy topics in art, so today I want to talk about a piece of art that tickles me: Laziness (La Paresse) by Félix Vallotton. I first encountered this woodcut while scrolling through the Instagram account of one of the museums I follow (unfortunately I can’t remember which one) and found it very amusing.

After doing some research, I’ve learned that Vallotton is well known for his woodcuts (like Laziness) as well as his realistic yet unemotional style. This approach creates a sense of tension in his work, although it’s not really present in the piece we’re discussing today.

As the title suggests, Laziness depicts the essence of indolence (as imagined by the artist). A nude woman lies languorously on a bed, reaching out a hand to a cat who is in the act of jumping onto the bed. Cats are stereotypically considered to be lazy animals (although, as a person, who lives with two cats, I have to say that the stereotype is fairly accurate in this case). As I noted above, the image is light and entertaining, yet it is also very visually engaging.

The effect is achieved by way of Vallotton’s striking use of bold lines and sharp contrasts. As opposed to prints of previous centuries, Vallotton’s woodcuts are deliberately—and deceptively—simplistic. Although they are carefully composed and executed, prints like Laziness have a sense of organic spontaneity that quickly attracts the eyes of viewers.

Disclaimer: I’m not an art historian or an expert on this topic. The above is my opinion, based on my interpretation of my foreknowledge of art and history. If I’ve done any additional research, I’ll note it above.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Le Chat Aux Poissons Rouges by Henri Matisse (Interpretation and Analysis)

Five Puerto Rican Artists You Should Know

Mural La Plena by Rafael Tufiño (Interpretation and Analysis)