Spirit of the Dead Watching by Paul Gauguin (Interpretation and Analysis)

Spirit of the Dead Watching by Paul Gauguin
Spirit of the Dead Watching
Source: Wikipedia
Today, I want to turn my attention back to the work of Paul Gauguin to talk about his painting Spirit of the Dead Watching. There are a lot of different interpretations of this work, as you’ll find if you Google it. Many people interpret this painting through the lens of colonialism, racism, and sexism. I think those interpretations are important and valid, and there’s some good information about them here. However, today I’m going to talk about the way that I read the painting.

As I’ve said before, Gauguin was clearly inspired by the Romantic movement, especially its emphasis on the emotional and spiritual life
The Nightmare by Henry Fuseli
The Nightmare
Source: Wikipedia
of the individual. By the time Gauguin was active as an artist, the idea of psychoanalysis — developed by the famous Sigmund Freud — was emerging into mainstream thought. In my opinion, the figure in the background (the so-called “Spirit of the Dead”) is a representation of the dark side of the mind, the unconscious. The contrast of the young girl with the wizened, grotesque figure in the background also speaks to the duality of human life. The two figures represent life and death, youth and old age, day and night, while acknowledging that each condition informs the other (sort of like the idea of yin and yang). The piece can also be read as an interpretation of the Freudian death drive, the idea that there is an impulse toward death and self destruction (although I’d be shocked if Gauguin intended it to be interpreted that way).

The painting also reminds me a lot of Henry Fuseli’s famous painting The Nightmare. This Gothic painting represents Romantic art at its peak, including exploration of the inner world, emotional fervor, and an overall atmosphere of mystery. At their core, both paintings highlight the currents of chaos and darkness that exist within the human experience.

Disclaimer: I’m not an art historian or an expert on this topic. The above is my opinion, based on my interpretation of my foreknowledge of art and history. If I’ve done any additional research, I’ll note it above.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Le Chat Aux Poissons Rouges by Henri Matisse (Interpretation and Analysis)

Five Puerto Rican Artists You Should Know

Mural La Plena by Rafael Tufiño (Interpretation and Analysis)