Hasta Su Abuelo by Francisco Goya (Interpretation and Analysis)

Hasta Su Abuelo by Francisco Goya
Hasta su Abuelo
Source: Museo del Prado
For day two, I wanted to share another piece from Francisco Goya’s series, Los Caprichos. If you would like some background about Los Caprichos, read what I wrote yesterday. Hasta Su Abuelo, which translates as “and so was his grandfather” or “as far back as his grandfather,” satirizes hereditary nobility and challenges their place in society.

The piece depicts a donkey, dressed in what is presumably a fine set of clothes, proudly studying his family tree. In my opinion, this is an obvious caricature of an aristocrat, obsessed with studying their own genealogy and holding a conceited view of their own self-importance.

In the wake of the French Revolution and the English Civil War (and subsequent Glorious Revolution), the idea of Divine Kingship was on its last legs in Europe. Given this context, Hasta Su Abuelo points out the absurdity of awarding respect or power to a person because of their ancestors, just as it would be absurd to show respect to a donkey because he is the descendant of a long line of donkeys.

Goya’s piece points out that even farm animals have ancestors; an impressive family tree doesn’t excuse the failings of the ruling aristocratic class.

Disclaimer: I’m not an art historian or an expert on this topic. The above is my opinion, based on my interpretation of my foreknowledge of art and history. If I’ve done any additional research, I’ll note it above.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Le Chat Aux Poissons Rouges by Henri Matisse (Interpretation and Analysis)

Five Puerto Rican Artists You Should Know

Mural La Plena by Rafael Tufiño (Interpretation and Analysis)