The Angelus by Jean-François Millet (Interpretation and Analysis)

The Angelus
Source: Wikimedia Commons

As we all prepare for Thanksgiving tomorrow (if you live in the US and celebrate it, that is), I thought I’d share a painting that reminds me to be grateful for all the blessings in life.

The Angelus is one of the most recognizable and moving piece of art in Western history. It was created by Jean-François Millet, one of the leading painters of the Realist movement in France. The Realists rejected the drama and overwrought emotion of the Romantic movement, choosing instead to portray the unglamorous trials and tribulations of ordinary life. Millet was particularly interested in rural life and created many paintings of farmers, their lives, and the countryside.

However, The Angelus is, without a doubt, his most famous painting. The piece portrays two farmers engaged in digging potatoes. They have paused in their work and stand with their heads bent in prayer. In the background, the fields stretch away towards a sky streaked with bright clouds. According to Millet, the farmers are praying the Angelus, a prayer that commemorates the Annunciation of the angel Gabriel to the Virgin Mary. Millet said, “The idea for The Angelus came to me because I remembered that my grandmother, hearing the church bell ringing while we were working in the fields, always made us stop work to say the Angelus prayer for the poor departed.”

Although Millet found his inspiration in a childhood memory, the painting certainly transcends this scene. It conjures an air of peaceful tranquility, a reminder to be grateful for everything, even in the midst of everyday life and hard work.

Disclaimer: I’m not an art historian or an expert on this topic. The above is my opinion, based on my interpretation of my foreknowledge of art and history. If I’ve done any additional research, I’ll note it above.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Le Chat Aux Poissons Rouges by Henri Matisse (Interpretation and Analysis)

Five Puerto Rican Artists You Should Know

Mural La Plena by Rafael Tufiño (Interpretation and Analysis)