Double Portrait of the Artist in Time by Helen Lundeberg (Interpretation and Analysis)

Double Portrait of the Artist in Time
Source: Smithsonian American Art Museum
I’ve written a lot about Surrealism on this blog, and, while I definitely enjoy Surrealist art, I have to say that recently I’ve been finding Post-Surrealism just as interesting. According to my research, Post-Surrealism was the Americanized response to Surrealism. It can be best described as a more socially conscious version of Surrealism. While traditional Surrealism tends to be introspective, Post-Surrealism looks outward. It focuses on creating a sense of wonder in the viewer and takes an interest in science. In some ways, it could be considered an aspirational style.

One of the founders of this movement was Helen Lundeberg, an American artist who did most of her work in California. Her self-portrait, which is entitled Double Portrait of the Artist in Time, depicts Lundeberg at different stages of her life.

In the foreground, we see Lundeberg as a toddler. According to my research, her white dress and the unopened flower buds symbolize her innocence and undeveloped mind. A blank piece of paper lies in front of her, indicating that the future is open to her. Behind the child, a shadow in the shape of an adult is visible on the wall. The shadow falls across a painting of an adult woman, who represents the grown up version of Lundeberg. This version of Lundeberg holds an open flower in her hands, symbolizing her maturity and self-realization. According to my research, the shadow that stretches between the two Lundebergs represents the psyche, the bridge between these two selves that transcends time.

On the whole, this self portrait is an empowering one. It portrays growth and maturity, while looking forward to Lundeberg’s future. While the subject of this painting is somewhat introspective, it is also a universal theme, exploring the biological circle of life and the development that comes with time.

Disclaimer: I’m not an art historian or an expert on this topic. The above is my opinion, based on my interpretation of my foreknowledge of art and history. If I’ve done any additional research, I’ll note it above.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Le Chat Aux Poissons Rouges by Henri Matisse (Interpretation and Analysis)

Five Puerto Rican Artists You Should Know

Mural La Plena by Rafael Tufiño (Interpretation and Analysis)