La Rogativa by Lindsay Daen (Interpretation and Analysis)

La Rogativa
Pinterest
Puerto Rico is an island rich in art. I’ve written many times about Puerto Rican paintings, however I haven’t discussed sculpture in much detail. One of Puerto Rico’s most famous public sculptures is entitled La Rogativa, and is fittingly located in La Plaza de la Rogativa in Old San Juan, the historic district of Puerto Rico’s capital city. 

The subject of the sculpture is taken from San Juan’s famous story of la rogativa (I should note that La Rogativa translates to The Procession). According to local legend, when the British attacked San Juan in 1797, the bishop led a procession of citizens through the streets to pray to God for deliverance. When the British saw the streets fill with people and heard the sounds of the procession, they thought that Spanish reinforcements had arrived and fled the city.

Although this probably didn’t really happen, the legend of la rogativa is symbolically important, representing the idea that Puerto Rico can defend itself through the strength of its people. Today, the sculpture—which represents the bishop and his parishioners marching through the streets—is a touchstone for Puerto Rican patriotism and pride. The sculpture was cast in 1971, during the burgeoning intellectual movement to rediscover Puerto Rican culture, history, and identity. As such, La Rogativa is an important cultural monument that will stand the test of time from its perch overlooking the Bay of San Juan.

Interestingly, the piece was created by an artist who was not Puerto Rican. Lindsay Daen was born in New Zealand but spent over forty years living in Puerto Rico, creating multiple pieces of public art for local municipalities along the way. Daen primarily worked in bronze, and his work is characterized by thin, spindly figures with elongated limbs. His work has a jagged, raw energy that suggests that the sculptures have flowed fully formed from the earth.

(I have to say that I wish I had my own photo of this sculpture. I’ve been to Plaza de la Rogativa many times throughout my life and never thought to take a photo.)

Disclaimer: I’m not an art historian or an expert on this topic. The above is my opinion, based on my interpretation of my foreknowledge of art and history. If I’ve done any additional research, I’ll note it above.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Le Chat Aux Poissons Rouges by Henri Matisse (Interpretation and Analysis)

Five Puerto Rican Artists You Should Know

Mural La Plena by Rafael Tufiño (Interpretation and Analysis)