1898 by Carlos Raquel Rivera (Interpretation and Analysis)

1898 by Carlos Raquel Rivera
1898
Source: WorthPoint
When I’m in need of inspiration for this blog, I often end up cruising around the internet, looking through digitized museum catalogs and other websites for ideas. I was doing that the other day when I came across an image of a linocut print by Carlos Raquel Rivera entitled 1898.

I was immediately stunned by the print, so I thought I’d take some time to chat with you about it today.

Rivera was a Puerto Rican artist who is perhaps best known for his many prints. His work is characterized by dynamic compositional choices, surreal imagery, and, most importantly, bold political messages. 1898 is a prime example of one such political statement.

The title, 1898, refers to the year in which Puerto Rico became an American colony. Following the Spanish-American war, Spain ceded control of Puerto Rico to the United States as part of the peace negotiations. Rivera’s print succinctly summarizes this chain of events. 1898 depicts a Spaniard on a horse stabbing a Taino man—one of the original, indigenous inhabitants of Puerto Rico. As the man falls dead on the ground, a skeletal figure wearing an American military uniform prepares to bayonet the Spaniard. Shadowy, hooded figures surround the three men, perhaps symbolizing death. The image is a stark reminder that the American annexation of Puerto Rico was a continuation of the brutal regime of conquest and colonization that Spain inflicted upon the island.

Rivera was an ardent of Puerto Rican independence, and 1898 reflects his contempt for the political machinations that denied his fellow Puerto Ricans the fundamental rights of autonomy and self-determination.

Disclaimer: I’m not an art historian or an expert on this topic. The above is my opinion, based on my interpretation of my foreknowledge of art and history. If I’ve done any additional research, I’ll note it above.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Le Chat Aux Poissons Rouges by Henri Matisse (Interpretation and Analysis)

Five Puerto Rican Artists You Should Know

Mural La Plena by Rafael Tufiño (Interpretation and Analysis)